2019 Forum of Experts on SEEA Experimental Ecosystem Accounting
The Forum of Experts on SEEA Experimental Ecosystem Accounting 2019 was held on 26 and 27 June 2019 in Glen Cove, New York, USA. The Forum was organized by the United Nations Statistics Division in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme, and the World Bank, and was an activity under the “Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services” project funded by the European Union.
Participants included statisticians, researchers and experts in the area of ecosystem accounting, ecosystem modelling, spatial analysis of ecosystem services, and environmental and ecological economics, as well as earth observation specialists. Representatives of the project partner countries, namely Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa, and other countries having experience in the compilation of ecosystem accounting have also attended.
The Forum’s objectives were to:
- Showcase relevant methodological and technical advances; including in relation to global datasets, modelling and forecasting, and indicator initiatives;
- Advance the research agenda on ecosystem accounting in support of the revision of the SEEA EEA by providing guidance on accounting treatments, opportunities for testing and issues requiring further research; and
- Share experiences and best-practices in compiling and applying ecosystem accounting including in the context of the Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services project.
Opening video address by Mr. Elliott Harris, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development and Chief Economist can be found here.
Group pictures from the Forum
Drone Group picture (by Max Wright)
Group picture 1 (by Elsa Begne)
Additional reference materials
For Session 3a: Spatial Units
- Introductory presentation on the global ecosystem typology from the Eye on Earth symposium in October 2018 in Dubai available at: https://youtu.be/hVCVvL5FEJg?t=2215
For Session 3c: Ecosystem Services and Session 3d: Valuation
- Discussion papers on 10 individual ecosystem services drafted for the January 2019 Expert Meeting on Advancing the Measurement of Ecosystem Services for Ecosystem Accounting can be found here.
For Session 9: Opportunities for advancing SEEA accounts
- Brochure on the INCA project