SEEA EEA Forum of Experts 18-20 June 2018
The Forum of Experts in SEEA Experimental Ecosystem Accounting (SEEA EEA) will be held on 18-20 June 2018 at the Glen Cove Mansion Hotel & Conference Center, Glen Cove, Long Island, New York. The Forum is organized by the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) and the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and funded by the European Union project “Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services.”
Participants will include statisticians, researchers and experts in the area of ecosystem accounting, ecosystem modelling, spatial analysis of ecosystem services, and environmental and ecological economics, as well as earth observation specialists. Representatives of the project partner countries, namely Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa, and other countries having experience in the compilation of ecosystem accounting would also be in attendance.
The Forum’s objectives are to:
- Share best-practices in compiling ecosystem accounts;
- Showcase methodological and technical advances;
- Work towards a consensus on methods and practices to be included in practical guidelines;
- Provide recommendations for the revision of the SEEA EEA.
The revision process is being undertaken under the auspices of the Committee of Experts on Environmental Economic Accounting (UNCEEA). Four primary research areas have been identified: (1) spatial areas; (2) ecosystem condition; (3) ecosystem services; and (4) accounting treatments and valuation. The presentations and sessions at the Forum will be centered around these research areas, aiming to advance the methodological development and practical implementation of the issues (see attached Revision Issues Note).
At this stage, we are seeking your expression of interest in participating in and contributing to the Forum. We are also seeking your views on the SEEA EEA revision issues identified in the Revision Issues Note for the revision and your willingness to contribute substantively to the revision process. Your feedback would be most welcome on:
- The coverage and description of the revision issues described in the Revision Issues Note;
- The priority areas for research and discussion;
- Your interest in participating in the revision process, noting the particular area/s to which you, your organisation or any groups that you participate in may wish to contribute;
- Your suggestions as to other relevant organisations, groups or networks and associated events who should be connected to the revision process.
In the spirit of making the revision process as inclusive as possible, we are seeking your assistance in distributing the Revision Issues Note to those that may be interested in participating in, contributing or simply following the revision process. Please respond with your interest and suggestions on the SEEA EEA revision process at <firstname.lastname@example.org> by Friday, 23 March 2018. Thank you in advance for your support.