Country’s total water abstraction increased by 12.3 percent from 2010 to 2019
The country’s total water abstraction, or the amount of water that is removed from its source either permanently or temporarily, has increased by 12.3 percent, from 194.1 billion cubic meters (bcm) in 2010 to 218.0 bcm in 2019 (Figure 1). For the same period, on the average, 98.1 percent of the total abstraction was from lakes, artificial reservoirs, rivers and streams (surface water) and the remaining 1.9 percent from groundwater reservoirs. On the average, 98.9 percent of the abstracted water was for own use while the remaining 1.1 percent was intended for distribution to other economic units. Water abstracted for own use also increased from 192.3 bcm in 2010 to 215.0 bcm in 2019 (Figure 2). The largest increase was observed in 2017, owing to an increase in water abstraction by the industry sector collectively. As shown in Figure 3, the largest amount of self-abstracted water is for the power sector (57.8%). This was followed by the agriculture sector (33.9%), mining and quarrying, manufacturing, and construction (5.6%) and the services sector and households (2.7%). It should be noted that the power sector, specifically hydropower, uses water in a non-consumptive manner. That is, water remains in or is immediately returned to the location from which it was extracted.