Natural Capital Accounting Project
About the Project
The United Nations Statistics Division, the United Nations Environment Programme, the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity, and the European Union have launched the project “Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services”. The project, which is funded by the European Union, aims to assist the five participating partner countries, namely Brazil, China, India, Mexico and South Africa, to advance the knowledge agenda on environmental and ecosystem accounting. It will initiate pilot testing of SEEA Experimental Ecosystem Accounting (SEEA EEA) with a view to improve the management of natural biotic resources, ecosystems and their services at the national level and mainstream biodiversity and ecosystems in (sub)national level policy-planning and implementation.
The project will review policy demands, data availability and measurement practices in order to advance and mainstream natural capital accounting and will initiate pilot ecosystem accounts in each of the five strategic partner countries.
It is expected that the following work streams be carried out during the implementation of the project:
- Development of a national plan and selection of ecosystem accounts, in physical and monetary terms, based on national priorities, in each of the partner countries
- Development of guidelines and methodology that contribute to the national implementation of the project and the global research agenda in the context of SEEA EEA
- Development of a set of indicators in the context of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda, Aichi Tragets and other international initiatives
- Contributions to the alignment between SEEA and corporate sustainability reporting
- Increased awareness of natural capital accounting
- Enhanced capacity building and knowledge sharing as a way to enlarge the community of practitioners on natural capital accounting
Pilot in Rio Grande hydrographic basic and states of Maranhao-Tocantins-Piaui-Bahia (MATOPIBA region) focusing on soil, water and carbon-related services.
Pilots ongoing under the framework of "ecological civilization" in the provinces of Guangxi Autonomous Region and Guizhou and at the national level to support the natrual resoruce balance sheet program.
A suite of ecosystem accounts will be assessed in pilots covering a state in India.
Building on earlier pilot accounts for the state of Aguascalientes, ecosystem extent, condition and services accounts will be compiled at the state and national level.
Various types of ecosystem accounts will be compiled, including ecosystem services accounts for KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) province, and ecosystem extent accounts at the national level.